Cheerful blooms always make a home appear more welcoming! But while everyone loves a gorgeous garden, many of us don’t know how to go about having one. Now that fall has arrived, the milder temperatures mean it’s the ideal time to “plant the seeds” for a stunning landscape. Here are a few tips on how to cultivate colorful flower beds and a rich lawn (and not break a sweat while doing it!):
1. Evaluate the space you have to work with and determine what colors you prefer for fall. Do some research on native plants, which require less overall maintenance and often less watering. And always seek out experts for guidance. According to the Dallas County Master Gardeners, it’s the perfect time to plant “pansies, flowering kale and cabbage, dianthus, cyclamen and violas for fall color as the weather cools at the end of the month.”
2. Don’t forget the mulch! Mulch provides natural nutrients that are required by your plants and flowers to thrive and they keep weeds under control. Red and black mulch also contrast beautifully with your rich, fall colors.
3. Move it from the yard to the front porch with planters and baskets, which can brighten up your home’s entryway. When creating a colorful porch, choose planters of different colors, sizes, heights and textures. And keep in mind the “thriller, filler and spiller” strategy of filling your pots and containers. Choose an eye-catching “thriller” as the centerpiece, something denser and lower as a “filler,” and something that flows over the side of your container as the “spiller.”
4. Don’t forget about your grass! Fertilizing in early fall helps your lawn to recover from our long, hot, dry Texas summer. And seed to fill in bare and burned spots that might have died in the heat. Keep mowing until the grass stops growing for the season and when that happens, make sure and winterize your mower. That means sharpening the blades, changing the oil and spark plugs, and cleaning the air filter.
5. The Dallas Arboretum is a great local source of information for both new and experienced gardeners. Stroll among their impressive gardens to get ideas and inspiration. Get “tips and tricks by the month” on the arboretum’s website. Even get your kids in on the action with their full library of fun and educational videos on gardening.
American Legend homes provide spacious outdoor living areas that buyers can enjoy throughout the year. Taking care of these tasks now means you’ve survived the sweltering Texas summer and you can sit back, relax and enjoy the fall season in your American Legend home!