With the season changing and cooler weather in sight, we can’t wait to cozy up in the living room next to a roaring fire or snuggle up outside making s’mores on the firepit. But safety first, that’s our motto at American Legend Homes. Before you light that match, read our top fire safety tips to prevent accidents and enjoy your fire safely.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, on average a house fire occurs every 89 seconds nationwide. The top causes of fires include cooking, heating, electrical and candles, with cooking being the top cause of house fires. Here’s how to prepare for and prevent house fires.
1. Have a fire extinguisher. We know your spacious chef’s kitchen inspires you to try new and exciting recipes. Let’s face it, you’re not Emeril. We’ve all been there, the kids are excitedly running around the house, you’re doing a million things at once and before you know it BAM the smoke alarm is going off. We can’t stress enough the importance of having a fire extinguisher. This one from First Alert HOME1 is a best seller with thousands of five-star reviews. Be sure to know the ABCs of fire extinguishers so you know you’re getting the one that fits your needs best.
2. Maintain your smoke alarms. Having smoke alarms nearly halves your risk of dying in a fire. Luckily, your American Legend Home is equipped with smoke alarms on every level of your home, outside each sleeping area, and inside each bedroom. Be sure to remove dust from your smoke alarms to avoid false alarms and remember to test and change or change the batteries regularly. Here’s a great 2-minute video about smoke alarm basics from the American Red Cross.
3. Have an escape route. Develop an escape plan with your family. Get everyone together and walk through your home discussing possible exits and escape routes. Make sure the doors and windows you plan to use as your exits are clear and can be easily opened. Designate a meeting area so the family can easily account for everyone if a fire occurs. Once you have a plan, practice! Need some tips? Watch this great video on making a home fire escape plan.
4. Check your home appliances. Outdated appliances cause the most electrical fires, with dryers causing nine out of ten appliance fires. Clean out your dryer’s lint screen every time you dry a load of laundry; this simple step can avoid a serious house fire. Make sure appliances such as toasters and coffee makers are working properly and that things like towels, paper towels and curtains aren’t too close to heat sources.
5. Stop, drop and roll. This easy-to-remember technique can save a life. It can be a scary topic to broach with kids, so make it fun! Show them this kid-friendly video teaching them the stop, drop and roll technique.
Keep an eye on your cooking, blow out those candles and practice your escape plan. Above all else we want you to be safe in your home. We hope these important fire safety tips from your American Legend Homes family help you feel confident and safe when enjoying all the fun that comes with the cooler weather!