There are stunning built-ins in your new American Legend home just begging to be filled! Built-ins are perfect for providing extra storage, saving space, showing color and personality in your home, and for proudly displaying your most prized heirlooms and favorite books. If you’re struggling to find a way to fill up and style your built-ins, here are our favorite tips for setting up lovely vignettes:
1. Up high and down low! Maximize the functionality of your built-ins by using the space in a practical manner. On the top shelves, place fragile, decorative items such as plates and vases. Putting them up high keeps them safe while also on display rather than being stored away, unseen, in the back of a cabinet. On the lower shelves, store blankets and throws for functional use. This makes them easy to access and store after use, yet also adds color and texture to your shelving.
2. Color coordination is key. Do you have a go-to hue in this particular room? Choosing one color to highlight will make your built-in pop! It could be a light blue, a rich cranberry or a sage green. Whatever you choose will tie the whole room together.
3. It’s not just for books. It’s for bookends, too! Vintage bookends can add charm to your built-ins and can be picked up on the cheap at vintage shops and estate sales. You can event paint them to complement your overall color and look. Use them to create mini collections of books on your shelves and don’t hesitate to use more than one pair of bookends. Remember, they don’t have to match (it’s even more charming if they don’t!).
4. Add some life! Placing a plant and maybe a vase full of colorful flowers will round out the built-ins. American Legend Homes are known for their abundant natural light, which means that your greenery will thrive in your built-ins. Try a succulent, trailing plant or even a vase filled with fresh greenery or flowers from your garden.
5. Art isn’t just for walls. Show some creativity by displaying your artwork (or your children’s artwork!) in your built-ins, either by hanging the framed art or leaning it against the wall. And don’t forget to mix in framed family photos in with your original art.
6. Put your built-ins to work. Many American Legend home office and study spaces have built-ins that make working from home both productive and stylish. Store unsightly files and office equipment in the built-in cabinetry and drawers and use the shelving to create a stylish and inspiring workspace.
7. Tuck it away. American Legend floor plans that include built-in mud rooms and workspaces provide creative and attractive ways to stay organized and tidy. They are the perfect places to incorporate textured baskets into built-in nooks and shelves…and keep everything looking neat and easy to find on the way out the door!
We can’t wait to see your creativity on display in your new American Legend home! Read more about styling your #shelfies here.