There is something special about being able to count on those who live around you. Neighbors are the people who keep an eye on your house when you’re out of town and who happily grab a package off your front step when you’re away. On this National Good Neighbor Day, show your American Legend neighbors how much you appreciate them! Here are six ideas to get you started:
1. For Good Neighbor Day, plan a block party for your neighbors. Bring a cooler of cold drinks, some assorted snacks and games for the kids. This neighborhood get-together will give everyone a chance to catch up and get to know one another even better.
2. Treats are a simple way to show others you are thinking of them. Dropping off some fresh flowers from your garden or sweet treats like brownies, a pie or cookies shows your neighbors that you are happy to have them around.
3. Goody bags are an easy way to share the love within your neighborhood on Good Neighbor Day. Drop some assorted candies and a fall candle into a small bag as a way to say “thank you” and “I care about you” to your closest neighbors.
4. Join a neighborhood group like a gardening club as a way of sharing a common interest and getting to know your neighbors better. By joining an organized group, you can have a say in how to keep your neighborhood welcoming while also making friends and staying involved in the community.
5. Some of your neighbors, especially elderly ones, may have a hard time getting around or may need to maintain social distancing practices. Check on them and offer to pick up groceries or run other errands for them.
6. Add a little joy to the neighborhood by writing a cheerful message in chalk on the sidewalk. It's a great way to encourage your neighbors in what has been a very challenging year!
Strong neighborhood connections build strong communities. Value the good neighborhood friends you already have by showing them how important they are to you. If you don't know a lot of your neighbors yet, Good Neighbor Day is a great time to meet them and make new friends! American Legend knows that a day like today should be celebrated. And we are here to help you do just that!